Posts from April 2012
- 5 Ways Strategic Account Management and Selling Are Different
What are the differences between Strategic Account Management and Selling?
Ask the question, “What needs to happen at your company to maximize your success with your strategic accounts?” and you’re likely to get answers like this:
- The leaders at the account need to know about the value we can bring them besides what we’re doing for them right now.
- We need to penetrate different divisions of the accounts.
- Our relationships need to be deeper if we want to keep competitors out.
- We need to work directly with decision makers at the enterprise level.
Nice list, but not unique to strategic account management.
Indeed, the answers tend to be the same as those to the question, “What would you like your salespeople to do more of?"
Company leaders often ask the question, look at this list, and decide, “Okay – looks like we need sales training. Let’s put something on the agenda.”
This is a mistake.
While on their face, many of the outcomes of strategic account management and sales are the same (e.g. higher revenue, higher margins, longer contracts, deeper penetration, more mindshare, stronger relationships) and some of the concepts are the same, the paths to get there can be quite different.
Here are 5 areas where these differences stand out...[click to continue...]
- 3 Comments Topics:
- The New Rules of Selling, Part 1: Play to Win-Win
Rule #1: Play to Win-Win. (This post is the first in a series of blog posts on the new rules of selling.)
Win-win is a common negotiating philosophy. The idea is to find solutions that satisfy the interests of both parties, and maximize value on both sides. Since repeat business and referrals are so important in complex sales, employing win-win as part of your selling technique and philosophy should be a foregone conclusion.
However, in the name of "win-win" many salespeople get so tied up in the name of “providing value” during the sales process that they:[click to continue...]
- 2 Comments Topics:
RAIN SellingSM Blog
|-- OR --|
- Buying Process
- Cold Calling
- Online Sales Training
- Overcoming Objections
- Professional Selling
- Professional Selling Skills
- Proposal Writing
- RAIN Selling
- Sales Assessments
- Sales Call Planning
- Sales Conversations
- Sales eBooks
- Sales Knowledge
- Sales Management
- Sales Mistakes
- Sales Motivation
- Sales Negotiation
- Sales Performance Improvement
- Sales Planning
- Sales Presentations
- Sales Prospecting
- Sales Research
- Sales Training
- Strategic Account Management
- Value Proposition
Popular Blog Posts